Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Are You an Insomniac?

Just wanted to share a fun poem by one of my favorites, Maya Angelou.  I am realizing that sometimes I have to force myself to stop writing and go to sleep.  Otherwise, I end up resembling a caveman and grunting at people.  Not very pleasant.

Insomniac

There are some nights when
sleep plays coy,
aloof and disdainful.
And all the wiles
that I employ to win
its service to my side
are useless as wounded pride,
and much more painful. 

Maya Angelou


I read an interesting article about how E.M. Cioran never slept and counted insomnia as a blessing.  You can find it here.
Would you consider insomnia a blessing in disguise?

7 comments:

  1. nice poem, well as long as the pen's on the roll i don't mind not sleeping. It's rather exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally I would agree with that, although the lack of sleep does add up after a while.

      Delete
  2. Great poem! It captures the sentiment, nicely. I can identify. Most mornings I go to sleep after 2 am.

    Maybe I will share some of mine here. Let me add you to my circle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah i would surely count it a blessing in disguise. My best works have been the products of late night sleeplessness. There is a new world that comes to you at those golden hours.

    http://neoimaginations.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how alive your mind can be so late into the night, isn't it? Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. I always feel like I can be more than myself when its at night and every things quiet then I can write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the quiet! With two kids, the only way to achieve that is to wait until night time! Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete