Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

RTW: In Your Dreams

This week's Road Trip Wednesday question over at the YA Highway asks:

Conference season is here! We are getting all excited for BEA and ALA (check out the get-together we have planned with Stacked for ALA!), and we want to know: What authors would be on your dream author panel?

 I must admit I have never been to a Writers' Conference before.  I have always wanted to go to one, but have yet to muster enough courage to market myself in person.  (Yes, I know I'll have to get over it at some point if I want my book published, but for now I'm content to oblige the writer-hermit in me and remain holed up in the basement working on my manuscript.)

But if I were to go to a conference in my dreams and see an entire panel of authors of my choosing, not only would it be amazing, but it would be extremely beneficial.  I would probably choose authors that have boggled my mind at one point or another with their amazing story-telling talents. 

For their astounding world-building skills, I would choose Lois Lowry and Aldous Huxley.  For the beautifully simplistic way in which they compose a sentence, I would choose William Kennedy and Edgar Allen Poe.  For simply writing a story that broke the boundaries of the YA genre, I would choose J.K. Rowling.  And finally, for showing us newbie writers how your wildest dreams of being published can come true and being a real honest human being about it, I would choose Veronica Roth.  (She also wrote an amazing series and should be recognized for that as well!)

These are all authors that, in some way or another, have made me love the written word and the craft of writing it.  If I had a chance to pick their brains at a Writers' Conference, I would be one happy gal.

What would your dream panel be and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment