Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

RTW: The One That Got Away

Hello YA Highway.  How I've missed the time we share together on Road Trip Wednesdays.  It's good to feel the wind in my hair again.

Although they haven't actually made this week's question live yet, I am taking liberties and running with it anyway.  A busy mom only has so many windows in which to blog, you know.  Besides, it was posted on last week's question as a teaser for this week.  (Yep, I'm a gun jumper.)  This week's question over at the YA Highway's Road Trip Wednesday asks:

What book is your 'one that got away?' (What book have you always been dying to read but still haven't yet?)

Let's begin with a little disclaimer, shall we?  I am a horribly awful procrastinator.  I am also a notorious "starter" of things and have difficulty following through.  (See my About Me page)  Series are particularly hard for me, unless they are riveting and capture my attention the entire way through.  I can think of only a handful of series that had me carting kids to the bookstore at odd hours of the day to pick up the next installment because I simply couldn't wait any longer.  (Hello Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Divergent, and  Robert Langdon series)  And yes, I am that weird lady with whiny children perusing the YA section of the bookstore.  I can't be the only one...

So it should come as no surprise that the "one that got away" for me is a series I never got around to finishing.  I idolize Stephen King for his unique writing style and "what you see is what you get" attitude.  I have read many of his books and enjoyed them all.  The series I have been meaning to finish for quite some time now is his foray into the fantasy genre, "The Dark Tower" Series.  I read the first book, "The Gunslinger" at a time in my life when I was distracted by other things, so I didn't retain a lot of the events and key points in the book.  I think this had something to do with my lack of excitement to move on to the next book in the series.  I have been intending to revisit Roland and his multiverse and just haven't gotten around to it yet.  Maybe this was the kick in the butt I needed to pick it up again!

Does anyone else have a book or series that got away?

No comments:

Post a Comment